In response to the spread of COVID-19, many companies are making the switch to remote work - which means their hiring processes are moving remote, too. Our Student Placement Team recognizes that preparing for a video job interview involves different considerations and logistics than an in-person one. We’re sharing the tips they’ve gathered and have been coaching our students around to ensure you’re set up for success!
- Use your computer, not your phone for video calls.
- Test audio and camera at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled interview. If sound quality isn't great, use a headset or earphones to avoid an echo.
- Elevate your laptop with books, board games, etc. so your camera is at eye level to avoid staring down into the camera.
- Dress professionally—and not just from the top up! Dress the part to act the part.
- Make sure your username is your first and last name (as shown on your resume), and it is properly capitalized.
- Position yourself at a table, against a plain and neutral background. Avoid positioning yourself by a window and make sure there is no clutter around you.
- Check the lighting in the room. Light the room from the front and not from the back.
- Close all other applications on your laptop and turn off notifications.
- Silence your cell phone and disable vibration.
- Have a copy of your resume on hand.
- Attach post-its around the laptop screen with prompts and questions you wish to ask the interviewer
- Exclude kids, pets, etc. from the room during the interview.
- Have a pen and paper on hand.
- Have a glass of water next to you.
- Have the phone number of the interviewer in case the video connection is lost.
On a career search and looking for more tips? Our team of professionals is here to help! Contact us to learn more about how Codeup can help you in your career journey!Many of these tips were referenced from The New Rules of Work by Alexandra Cavoulacos and Kathryn Minshew. If you found these tips useful, check out the book, and don’t forget to share them with a friend to help them on their career search!